Saturday, May 1, 2021

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me, though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In the beginning, I felt like they retread the same ground a whole lot in the intro. In the end, they did much the same. There was a full 30 minute episode just about that was sort of a recap, or at least, it felt that way.

The vilification of the media/news seemed a bit excessive at times. But perhaps that is a really big problem in South Korea. I know that it has caused some problems here too, but the outlets do tend to protect the identities of victims, especially minors.


The Many, Many Heroes

That said, there was no shortage of heroes. The ML is a cop and certified hero, as was his father figure, also a cop. The prosecutor, despite some flaws that I won't spoil, also locked people up and had some heroic moments. 


By far, my favorite was the anti-hero... the ML's older brother (talked about at length in Touching Kdrama Characters). He is perhaps the most victimized, mentally abused, and upsetting character I've come across in a drama to date. He wanted love and attention so badly, but he was so abused that he didn't even know how to accept it when it was offered. 

Even while actively breaking my heart, he saved his mother and sister many times, almost dying in the process on multiple occasions.


None of these characters were particularly surprising to me. I mean, if you disregard the strong emotional connection I had to Kim Kyung-Nam's character, Yoon Hyun-Moo. What did surprise me... even the women were heroes.


The Non-Damsel Ignoring Distress

I expected the FL, played by Jin Ki-Joo, to be the ultimate damsel in distress. The ML (Jang Ki-Yong) saved her from his father when they were children, and I assumed that pattern would continue, particularly as he became a cop. 

Meanwhile, she was an actress, which is usually portrayed as a little spoiled, entitled, and/or useless. I was pleasantly surprised at what a badass she was, particularly at the end.

No spoilers. I will say that, if she was afraid, she hid it well. She wasn't having it.


The Fierce Mama Bear 

Of course, there was the step-mother. In the past, she ran away with her daughter, leaving a 16 year old kid to fend for himself against a serial killer dad. Then, tragedy struck. I assumed she would be a weak, scared character.

Again, I was wrong. She was very strong and tried to protect her step-children like a fierce momma lion. 

Not only was she prepared to kill her ex-husband if he laid a finger on them, but she literally was ready to die in the place of her kids, even the one that had gone astray and worshipped his "evil" father.


Almost all of the truly touching moments in the drama were her just... loving this monster's children unconditionally. Basically, she might cry a whole lot, but she is tough as nails.

Additionally, Seo Jeong-Yeon killed this role. She was exceptional and stole the show whenever she was in a scene. Truly talented. I had seen her before, but this made me a true fan.



To be honest, even the baby sister had heroic moments. Such as, standing up to her older brother who came to "kill her". She made it clear that they loved him, and she wasn't afraid. She clung to him in the hospital. She never shied away from his touch. Basically, she helped make him believe he was a real human, not the "monster" his dad was. Surely, that is a certain type of hero.

파이팅!


*Note: I am nonbinary myself and recognize that there is more to gender than male or female. However, I thought the title was cute. Sue me. 

Given the way this drama was going, they could have had the gender-queerest character ever, and they'd have been a huge badass too. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...