Friday, January 1, 2021

Where Your Eyes Linger: Toxic Relationship 101

I studied quite a bit today and some yesterday as well. I'm going over about 350 vocab word and have finished maybe 200? I also went through my last few 'learn to say this' lessons from memory today, so I think it's safe to move on.


Road to Kingdom: Round 2

I finished this the day before yesterday. Overall, the performances didn't thrill me too much. I like Verivery's nightmare concept and excellent choreo. I also love the violin solo and aesthetic from Golden Child, who are also excellent dancers.

I thought Pentagon was sort of dull... again. I ranked Oneus high last time, and though everyone on the show seemed super impressed, I didn't find round 2 that good. Basically, I'm pretty much over the whole rankings thing. It's annoying and super inaccurate for what is actually happening.

ONF was okay this round. It was good but not super special. TOO was surprisingly decent in this performance too, though not nearly as good as the cover in the first round. I might actually check them out at some point. I know a few members already too... just because they're awesome dancers. 


Where Your Eyes Linger

I decided to finally watch this last night. Can anyone say 'abusive relationship'? Wtf was this shit? 

I was so pissed at various points that I wanted to stop watching. I don't care that one kid's dad didn't like him and his mum died. That doesn't give him the right to constantly bait someone.

For those who haven't seen it, picture this: A guy's friend is clearly in love with him

So, the jerk decides to constantly tease the guy and make him uncomfortable for a full hour of the movie... while simultaneously treating women like crap too and cheating on various girlfriends.

Sounds like a real gem, huh?


Oh, the highlight was for sure this little scenario.

1. After being begged to stop flirting/creating uncomfortable situations, the jerk basically starts rubbing the good guy's bare chest. Startled and upset, the good guy accidentally hurts him.

2. The dick guy feigns a more serious injury and gets a cast he doesn't need to guilt his "friend".

3. Because he "can't get the cast wet", a-hole asks the guy to wash his hair for him in the shower. Guy refuses.

4. Dick splashes water on himself and makes a hurt sound. Nice guy comes running and finds his jerk love interest dripping water and poutily saying, "This is why I wanted help."

5. Cut to the shower where a clothed nice guy is washing the smug dude's hair. Afterward, the jerk tells the clothed guy he should shower too. His response is "No, I'll shower later".

6. A-hole attempts to get the guy wet to force him to shower with him/be in a naked, wet, and uncomfortable situation with him.

Reminders: First, the guy doesn't think/know that he has feelings for his "friend" at this point and is literally just fucking with him. Second, This is a FAKE injury. 

And this is only one of many manipulative, abusive, and disturbing aspects of the relationship. It is not okay to bait your gay friends or straight friends or... anyone at all. It's just gross.

Seriously... Not Okay

In the end, of course, they have a "sweet" romance that really reads more as toxic and co-dependent. The nice guy deserved so much better. There is no excuse for this type of abusive pattern in a relationship. It's not okay. It's trying to normalize disgusting behavior. He never even apologized... just realized he was in love, which somehow makes it all okay?

The good guy deserved so much better than this asshole. I wanted him to hook up with a sweet guy and, when the asshole came back, tell him to fuck off. Love does not involve these types of sick games.

Given, I watched this in movie format without the internal monologue of the two boys. Could that have possibly made a big difference? I doubt it. I understand why the guy was being a dick... abandonment issues included. The actors did a good job. I don't feel that their internal monologue would add clarity at all to their actions.

And again... there is NO excuse for this type of baiting. It's emotional torture, emotional blackmail, and just generally unacceptable. These were high school teens... I sure hope there are better LGBTQ role models than these in kdramas and kmovies!

파이팅!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...