Monday, September 28, 2020

Finale of Itaewon Class (2020) Episodes 12-16

 I didn't study or do anything related to the Korean language today... for the first time in a very long time. I had a good reason though. I was updating and submitting my resume all day. You know... you have to do what you have to do.


Itaewon Class (2020)

I did, however, finish the Itaewon Class last night. I will say that it lost steam a little bit after the switch to the present. But it was still one of the more consistent and entertaining kdramas I've seen as a whole. Some good scenes and moments:



This was the post-confession scene. It was a little longer than needed, but the imagery is nice. In the first, I like the silhouette in the snow. In the second, it's a pretty clear "life moving forward for everyone while my life stopped" type of moments. It's a lovely shot.



I love the interior of this building/set. The asymmetrical torn down wall is amazing. That entire area is super cool, and it gave this shot some real depth.


Amusing Scenes


This was the last real "mic drop" type of scene. Yi-Seo basically breaks it down for the self-centered first love who made endless demands. It went something like this:

Soo-Ah: He told me that he'd get rich for me and make it so I had to quit working for Janga company because it's hard for me.

Yi-Seo: And I said to myself... Rich? I'll make you rich. Janga gives you a hard time? I'll destroy them for you.

Yi-Seo made (and won) the argument for who love Saeroyi more. It was actually pretty hostile in its way.



Okay, and this one was such a great moment that I actually left the caption in it! Yi-Seo picked up a shovel, told Geun-Soo to pick up a pipe, and "on her count" attack. She counted to 3 and ran with the above line. I died laughing. The looks on those dudes faces... like, did that just happen?

To the character's credit, he did hold out and fight for a long time because she told him to... even though it was a clear betrayal. You know a character is a "bitch you love to hate" when a scene like this happens to a character you like... and you still laugh.

Final Thoughts


And that's the end. To be honest, I really enjoyed this one. The come-uppance for the old man was okay but not amazing in my view. Rather anti-climactic. The romance was okay.

The only real disappointment for me was that there was no redemption for Geun-Won, who I maintain was more of a victim than a villain. Sure, he's a bad guy... but it was solely because of his dad. I was hoping that prison had turned him into a grown up who no longer sought his father's approval. 

Really, I was hoping he would be the one to show Geun-Soo that he was on the wrong path. You know? He served his time... let him grow and become a better person? And maybe even help him half-brother along the way. But alas... we went full camp and turned him into a cartoon character just about. Meh. Otherwise, I quite enjoyed this one!

Off to start a new kdrama. Who knows what it will be? I'll get back to studying tomorrow for sure. 
파이팅!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...