Tuesday, September 29, 2020

D-Day (2015) Ep 1-3 & Some For Real Studying Today!

No studying yet today, but I have a solid plan. I'm going to finish Lesson 8 (which I already read a few times and understand pretty well). I'm also going to do at least half of the 39 word vocab for the next lesson.

Yesterday was the first day that I didn't check Tandem. I hope Woong isn't worried about me... he seems like a sweet and sensitive type of man. I've been too preoccupied with job hunting. I put in several more resumes today as well.


D-Day (2015)

This one has been on my list ever since I watched my first kdrama. I watched 1% of Something first, and Ha Seok-jin is in both. I thought Kim Young-Kwang was attractive just from the pictures and was hoping he had a bigger role that Ha (who is a relatively stiff actor). Super happy about that.

Strangely, Kim Hye-Eun has been in the last three kdramas I watched. Itaewon Class, Encounter, and now this. I feel like she is in everything.

I've seen Jung So-Min before. She co-starred in The Smile Has Left Your Eyes. So, it is interesting and pretty wild that I'm starting to recognize a whole bunch of cast members. Who knew that would happen so quickly?

Worth mentioning: I did try to watch this a while back. I got through maybe 2 minutes of it and couldn't do it. I was a bit drunk, and it was too fast moving. So, I watched The Smile Has Left Your Eyes instead.


Notable Scenes



This jumped the hell out of me! This is a disaster show, and I am very much familiar with the genre, all the way back to its hey day in the 70's with hits like Towering Inferno (1974) and whatnot. I'm a fan.

So I was expecting some rattling or thumping or other oddities (which eventually happened later). This scene went from the above photo to the below in about 2 seconds. I was not ready. 


Nice Shots

The oddities that I was expecting (rattling, creaking, cracks forming, etc) happened a bit later:



Starting with a rainbow and water gurgling from manhole covers... and some jittering butterfly décor. This is more what I was expecting. Tons of nice shots followed.

Here are a handful of those. I have a weakness for destruction, abandoned buildings, pretty things in the rubble... I imagine I'll have lots of shots for this drama.


Namsan tower collapsing. This was the shot that finally got me to look up this tower. Like... it's clearly a prominent part of the cityscape for Seoul. I should know by now what it is! 


I love the shot through the fish tank! Here we have the hospital head... whose fish are slowly dying at the bottom of the shattered tank (and whose hospital, filled with sick patients, just suffered an earthquake)... and he is concerned about his model boat. It's just one of those "speaks volumes" type of scenes.


Feminism: Light


The shot of Kim instinctively protecting this girl he doesn't much like is nice. It's nicely framed with the rubble as well. There is visual interest. But it's also a big hint at the romance that I'm sure will unfold.

He saved her ass multiple times in this sequence. Not wild about the man always saving the woman but whatever. Still a nice shot. 

I will say though that I'm glad there's a female firefighter. I started the first few minutes of episode 4 last night too... and one of the male firefighters tried to carry her bucket of water for her. She caught her breath, ran up from behind, and took her damn bucket back. That's right... strong is the new pretty!


The Yay & Nay of Babies

I found this shot of all of them doing lamas breathing funny. Like, it's the blind leading the blind and all that, since none of them has delivered/had a baby before. So this was sort of cute. So were all the patients cheering outside when the babies were born.


Am I the only one who saw what was happening here and was instantly revolted? Like, noooooo, man. This baby wasn't breathing, and they had no suction.

So yes, he sucked amniotic fluid out of this baby with his mouth. Slsdkghsldh! I can't get on board with that. Sick. I'd have been like, "Yo, Papa Bear! Come suck on your baby's face!"
파이팅!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...