Sunday, December 20, 2020

Jinyoung Is Psychmetric... And Doing a Great Job

Today, I studied Korean a little bit. I went over some vocab, since it had been a while since I did that. Not much otherwise though. Still too busy at work.


He Is Psychometric

This is one of the dramas I'm watching right now. I tend to like supernatural plot lines if there is something unique about the supernatural elements. Someone who can see people's worst moments in life... teamed up with someone who has terrible life moments. It is interesting.

It has been on my watchlist since the very first day that I decided to check out kdramas. To be honest, I was a bit turned off by the fact that it was an "idol drama". Usually, I feel like singers here who try to act tend to be trash at it.


Jinyoung

What bumped it to the top of the list was mostly... Jinyoung. As mentioned before, I got into Got7 during my hiatus. I like a couple songs (though not as much as Jackson Wang's solo tracks), but more than anything else... I just think they are fun and charismatic idols. My favorite pretty quickly became Jinyoung.

First, he is an interesting mix of unimpressed/quiet and excitable/cute/outgoing. Second, his vocal tone is beautiful. He has sort of a dopey look to him that is endearing as well.

I knew he was an actor. When I checked to see what he was in, I realized Psychometric was one of them. Sweet. Bumped to the near top of my list!


Emotional Depth

Another reason for finally diving into the drama: I've seen some idols appearing in other dramas. For the most part, they bring energy, comedic elements, and charm... but they have also been shockingly good at acting.

Thus far though, I feel like Jinyoung is the best I've seen. The range of feeling is pretty impressive. He can go from the goofy, quirky kid to the wounded, lonely kid in a matter of seconds. 


For instance, in the above scene, he dreamt the female lead wanted to kiss him to test his powers and woke up falling out of bed. It was a funny little scene that made the impact much greater when she told him not to touch her and pushed him away after he caught her on the bus two scenes later.


The look on his face was really pitiful, to be honest. He was worried she would think he was a monster, and this action appeared to confirm that she did, in fact, think so. It seems to be a look of sadness mixed with regret.

I felt bad for the character and wanted to protect him, so clearly Jinyoung brought some vulnerability to the scene. It also brought up a common thread in shows, movies, and literature with themes of loneliness: 

It is easier to remain lonely than it is to lose newfound hope of no longer being lonely. 

파이팅!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...