Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Kwang Ki-Young: Underrated King of the Side Characters

 I didn't get much time to study today. But I have studied over previous days and just practiced without any notes at all too... having mini conversations with myself and whatnot. I think I've got some of the conversational stuff down completely.

Practiced tons of vocab too. So, I don't feel bad for missing a day. Plus, yesterday, I even gave someone a mini Korean language lesson on Twitter. If you can teach it, you know you've got it figured out. 


Kwang Ki-Young Is Awesome

Full disclosure: The first time I saw Kwang Ki-Young, I thought he was super annoying. For the first few episodes anyway. After that, he began to grow on me.

Now, I've seen him in countless dramas, and I've gotta say... I kinda love him. Funny how I had a total reversal, but sometimes, a persons charm takes a while to become evident. In this case, his annoying ways are actually endearing after a while.


Super Expressive

What prompted the blog post though? I started watching Bring It on Ghost. I was pleasantly surprised when he first popped up. I was instantly immersed in his goofball performance. And I've been loving every minute of it.

To be fair, the annoyance factor is real. Above, you see his character's subservient best friend in the world raging out on him. Let's just say it was deserved. I love how he looks around like, "Can someone help me with this crazy person here?"


Just look at that face! He legit cannot have a single scene without being extra af. It's so damn good. Below, he was explaining that the lack of jobs shouldn't be concerning because even frogs need to warm up before jumping... and this is what he was doing while explaining:


No reason for it... except he is hyperactive and it is what a frog does. Like, big time little kid energy going on. He always looks like he's about to get caught too and seems so innocent when people yell at him. Another shot after pranking his friend and scaring him to death:


Another one... just caught in the act of being a big kid. He doesn't seem to care though most of the time. Super endearing:


Below, he's trying to convince the guy to join his club. The scene cuts to him walking out from behind a projector as Steve Jobs. The entire pitch is about how "innovative" the approach is. I died laughing.


To top it off, I have seen him in countless other roles. I've seen him do dramatic scenes with crying and subtlety. And I've seen him do the wacky living-cartoon-character nonsense too. He is talented and underrated. That's all I'm saying.
파이팅!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...