Thursday, January 7, 2021

GOT7: Member-Written & More Jinyoung

 I did study quite a bit today. Went over a few older lessons, did some really old vocab, and covered a new lesson too. I feel super accomplished.


GOT7: Diving In

In honor of the big will-they won't-they (likely won't-they) right now concerning GOT7's contract with JYPE, I figured that I would check out some more GOT7. I've mentioned before that I really like them as a group of fun guys. I only have two songs in my playlist.

I added "Hard Carry" a long time ago. The dance practice was really good, and it's catchy. So, I added it before checking out GOT7 really. No surprise there. I like the track and the dance, so... no brainer. Of course, I've still never seen the MV. I will at some point.

The other is, strangely, "Not by the Moon". This is not my type of song generally... very mellow pop. But somehow, I really love the vibe. The video was beautiful also. It was also the song that made me really fall in love with Jinyoung's vocals. Very pure.

So why only two songs? I've checked out a handful of songs, but most just haven't struck me as things I'd listen to in my free time? I have 3 or 4 Jackson Wang solo songs... much more my vibe. I also got into him without even knowing he was in GOT7.

The other reason: I haven't heard the vast majority of their songs. 

I've been trying to go through their MVs in order from debut. And give myself a preview of all the albums too. I just want to see what they've got going on.


Member-Written Songs

I'd only heard "My Youth" by Jinyoung previously. And to be honest, it did my my more... R&B chill playlist that I don't listen to often. His voice is just so nice! The video was beautiful too. My plan tonight is to check out more of the member-written songs.

I know that JB and several others write lots, but I'm starting with Jinyoung. Why? He's my favorite. I won't say bias yet, but... favorite. I watched He Is Psychometric because I already liked him and that performance [blogged about here (great actor), here (NOT gay), and here (final thoughts)] sold me for good. Big fan!

Plus... I seriously do love his voice. It's lovely.

First up tonight was "Mayday". It is an interesting track. The almost off-beat percussion is particularly interesting to me. I'll have to listen to it a few more times. It has a nice balance of soft and pretty vs EDM, but I'm not 100% sold on it.


Why Now?

Anyway, here starts my real journey into GOT7. I figured that if they leave their label (and I honestly think that if it means more artistic freedom for them, they should), I should have some idea what I'm in for, right?

Also, I guess I've found some of their songs just... not quite what I want to hear? They can sing, rap, and dance... but the tracks themselves haven't excited me. 

I'm wondering if perhaps that's because they were just handed random "hits" that just weren't special enough. In short, I'm wondering if they do better on their own. Worth thinking about since they might be solo soon, huh?

This is not meant as an insult at all. More of an acknowledgement that kpop (like most pop) is a feat of grooming and training and often little input from the "artist". I love to see talented people express themselves freely.

파이팅!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...