Monday, March 15, 2021

Run-On & That Kid from The Unit

 Today, aside from dancing to a bunch of kpop at work and while waiting for half an hour at a restaurant, I did nothing. It was umm... a little less than studying. I finished Descendants of the Sun as well. It was a solid drama. Not a favorite of mine, but a nice one.


Run-On

So my writing partner and bestie Charlie apparently got himself sucked into a chat full of kpop stans. I feel for him, I do. I know how you all are. Just saying. Seems mostly Blinks and ARMY... together. I feel for him again.

But anyway, he is getting into kdramas and asked if I'd seen Run-On, which he's currently watching. I've only watched two dramas on Netflix... though I have watched a bunch that are on both Netflix and Viki (watched on Viki). I will get to them. I thought I'd give it a watch though.


First Impressions - The Humor

Honestly, I think this is going to be pretty funny. It's certainly a change of pace from the last few dramas I watched, which had fun moments but were more serious and/or opressive in tone. I love that too, but fluff is good. I'm only in episode one and already laughed so hard.

Basically, the night before, she made a fool of her professor, asking if he was a time traveler from the Joseon era because of his old school sexist views. His toupee flew off during the argument as well. The next day, she found out that he stole a gig from her out of spite. So she returned his cleaned toupee.

He said he would give her back the job if she could time travel back to before this happened, pointing to his head (meaning before he lost his toupee and embarrassed the fuck out of himself, clearly).

Her response: "To before you lost your hair?"

I fucking died! So funny. He was instantly pissed af too.


First Impressions - The Stoic

I do love an unimpressed male lead. He doesn't seem robotic or cold so much. My impression so far as that he lives in a constant state of I-don't-give-a-fuck.

I'm not mad at it. The gun scene was particularly amusing. He seemed bored while doing it too. I like the way Siwan is playing the character.


First Impressions - Lee Jungha

So... the first person in this drama to catch my attention might seen weird to everyone, but it was this kid here:

I recognized him instantly but had no idea what from. He didn't show up as a cast member or have a wiki page. So I was like... maybe a cameo. I figured I would place him later.

A couple scenes later, and I was immediately bothered again when he popped back on the screen. Like... who the hell is this kid? Why do I know him?

So I went through the unfamous wiki-less track characters listed on wikipedia. And I found him but was super confused still... he seems to be no one. Not a kpop idol or actor or... wtf?

I went to one of those odd k-fan sites that has barely any info but is useful in a pinch. I'm sure you all know the ones I'm talking about. It confirmed that he hasn't done anything really. But I did find the answer: The Unit

For those who don't know, that was a failed survival show. It had a good premise--providing an opportunity for idols who debuted but didn't make it big. They could debut again. Cool.

It turned out that some of them hadn't debuted before though and took spots from people who had, so it kinda sucked. I think that's why it was a one-off rather than a recurring show. That's neither here no there though.


The above clip is where I knew the kid from. Lee Jungha auditioned with no dancing experience or singing experience. He was just energetic and cute... and made it through on charm alone. I wasn't super mad at that to be honest.

It was amusing to watch. Nice to see that he made it into an acting role. He's definitely got the charisma to be in front of the camera. He for sure isn't good enough to be an idol, but definitely a natural when not singing and dancing.

파이팅!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...