Tuesday, January 19, 2021

CIX Comeback Soon & a Little Seo Kang-Joon

 I haven't accomplished much for fun since yesterday's post, if I'm honest. Well, not in the way of pure entertainment. I'm up to episode 3 of Watcher. And I watched some misc. kpop compilations and an EXO dance practice. Looking forward to the CIX comeback on February 2!


CIX -What You Wanted (Revisited)

I wrote about the CIX comeback and immediately decided to go watch an older performance just because. I watched "What You Wanted" on The Show a few days ago.

Someone randomly attached it to a tweet about something totally unrelated, but I found myself watching the entire thing. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this choreo. 

So when I started fiending for CIX, I decided to go find another "What You Wanted" performance. I seemed to recall one in which they wore white flowy clothes that made the dance look ethereal. Found it very easily:

Somehow, the 'fits make this look so much cooler. The dance moves are pretty powerful in the chorus, so the juxtaposition of soft, flowy fabric with strong, aggressive moves is interesting. This is particularly true for Hyunsuk, since he is in the most ethereal outfit (and is the best dancer, sorry not sorry).


Watcher Episode 2

As mentioned yesterday, I started Watcher, though it was sort of a slow start for me. All I had gotten out of it to that point was... Seo Kang-Joon is insanely handsome. Like, I don't focus much on looks in real life or in my entertainment, but he is one hell of an exception. 

So yesterday's blog post was sort of just "look at this dude" and not much more? Well, not much more on the kdrama topic. I did, however, get involved in the plot since then.


Surprise! The case that I thought was the entire plot was solved in episode 2. I love when that happens. Clearly, they didn't nail the main dude that they're trying to catch, so it will be something of an ongoing process while solving other corruption cases. I am super happy about that. It keeps things from getting stale.

Actually, it was one of the things I liked about Bring It on Ghost. Flawed as that show may have been, the fact that they hunted lots of different ghosts from one episode to the next helped keep it from being boring. 

Well, there were a few other key details that kept things interesting as well. Some of those are described in these blog posts: 

Kwang Ki-Young: Underrated King of Side Characters

David Lee & Itaewon Class & Bullying

Diving into 2PM: Junho & Taecyeon Dramas


Back to the Not-Really-Ending Watcher Plot

But I digress. I appreciated how fast they wrapped things up. Minor SPOILER alert! They found this kid (pictured above). Two of the bad guys died. All wrapped up, right? On a side note, I do love the actual framing of the below shot of one of the dead dudes. It's just... a beautiful shot from a cinematography perspective.


I mean, really. It's a very nicely lit shot, right? I guess it's sort of sad in its way, but I don't really care. I mean, the dude isn't like, an amazing character that I had time to love or anything. 

The whole wrap up even included the stereotypical exhausted, chilling, male-bonding-after-a-job-well-done-scene. The "unlikely partners" having a casual debriefing? It's a bit of a cliché even for the end of a drama, but it's only just beginning!


Seo Kang-Joon: Impressive as Always



Seo Kang-Joon got a chance to really act in these opening episodes too. The most obvious was the scene in which he was triggered af. He froze and just... cried and watched. Poor character! I do love a damaged male lead, especially if there is no perky female lead trying to "fix" him. Man, I love this actor!


Korean Studying

Today, I did lots of studying actually. First, I refreshed myself on about 80 or so vocab words and learned maybe 15 new ones. Then, I went through a refresher grammar lesson.

I listened to a podcast of two lessons in the shower (both were short). And after that, I did a long lesson on time. As always, 김근영씨 helped me with some fine points too. I wanted to know some extra things that weren't included but seemed basic to me. Like:

Do you differentiate am/pm or use military-style time maybe? 

Answer: Yes. They say 오전 (morning) or 오후 (afternoon) for am/pm. And they also use something like our version of military time with hours 1 through 24.

Do you write out 2:30, or do you only write it out as 2시 30분? 

Answer: They do just write it out numerically like we do. I assumed that much, to be honest. Obviously, the goal is to learn how to say it... but I still needed to know, right?

파이팅!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...