Saturday, January 16, 2021

I Am Not a Robot: Surprisingly Sweet

 Just a quick blog post today. Yesterday was a very difficult day at work. I didn't have a chance to study at all, and I was too exhausted to blog as well. Today, I worked all day, was too busy to study, and also didn't feel well at all. I hope tomorrow is better.


Beautiful People

I'm still watching I Am Not a Robot, which I blogged about two days ago: Another Robot Love Story. I'm up to episode 10 (about 5 hours in), and I have some more thoughts on it.

First, Chae Soo-Bin is beautiful. She is the first Korean actress so far that I've found to be a real beauty. Her performance is pretty hammy but cute. 

Second, Yoo Seung-Ho has grown on me. I love a deep voice, so he has a soothing quality to him just from that. But he is also really good at creating sympathy in the viewer. He seems like a sweet guy and has a cuteness to him.

Third, their chemistry is super on point! This is a very light drama, but what little depth it has, they are really milking. You feel bad for him and want their relationship to succeed simply because he can now really live for the first time since childhood. It's a nice story.


Kwang Ki-Young (Again & Again)

I've written at length about Kwang Ki-Young (see: King of the Side Characters). I have seen him in many, many dramas at this point, and he does hammy, over-the-top comedy well.

I had no idea he was in I Am Not a Robot until he popped up. You know... he does that. This time, he is playing a dramatic role. So far, he is supposed to be the "bad guy" but mostly just as an extension of his father. 

His father tricked the MC as a child into signing away control of the company. The father also used the childhood version of Kwang's character to convince the boy to sign. Years later, it seems that he still wants to be friends, like when they were little. Or at least not be enemies.

At any rate, the relationship is interesting. Yoo Seung-Ho's character so far has more stock in the company, more power as chairman, seems to have more business acumen, and also has the girl he wants.

The above is Kwang's reaction to being rejected by the girl when his ex-friend called... and then immediately finding out that the guy had one-upped him in business as well. This is a very subtle performance compared to the likes of this:


The above is from Bring It on Ghost. That was far from the best drama I've seen in recent memory, but he was super enjoyable in the role. In both, he is acting out displeasure, and they are as different as night and day... hammy comedy vs realistic drama. He nails it.

파이팅!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes, Heroes Everywhere (And Every Gender)

 I am a fan of Come and Hug Me , though it has taken me months to get through it. There have been some issues, mostly with repetition. In th...